Tuesday, April 16, 2013

50 Days, 50 Songs to the "Gordon Lightfoot: 50 Years on the Carefree Highway" Concert.

Day 20





It’s ironic that I chose this song for today when making my list. I hadn’t listened to it in a very long time. It is only on the Sundown album and while that was one of my favorite albums, I only have it in vinyl and no turn table to play it on. A friend reminded me about it as one of her favorite Gordon Lightfoot songs. I was able to download a digital copy of Sundown and listen to a number of songs for the first time in a long time. Why they were not included in the Gord’s Gold or Greatest collections I’m not sure. They should have been, but thank goodness for the digital age that puts music at our fingertips.

Thank you to my friend Patt for seeing Gordon Lightfoot with me in 1975 and for reminding me of this song that seems as appropriate and heart-rending today as when he wrote it in 1974.

It was only yesterday

When I heard the teacher say

Patiently, one and two make three

We were children, you and me

Let us pray for the ones they call

The children of today

Nothin’ left but promises

Nothin’ much is certain

All we see is want and need across the board, why thank you lord

For livin’ in the glory of your care

Skies of blue have all turned brown

To the sound of sighin’

Lord abide, let us stem the tide

Of broken dreams

Sometimes you seem to tell us

It’s too late for prayin’

Too Late for Prayin’, Gordon Lightfoot



1 comment:

The Angry 50 Year Old Woman said...

Lucy! Your comments brought tears to my eyes. It is a beautiful song, and so timely in light of the terrible tragedy in Boston yesterday...Let us pray for the children of today...